Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Yoga

A page to dump all things yoga - events that are inspiring, teachers I love, poses, theories, and articles.  I've been studying yoga since 2001 through a somewhat fateful turn of events.

When I was a sophomore in high school (eons ago) I had a knee injury as a result of my ego and bravado that kept me out of competitive sports for a year.  During that time, I took up photography.  Fortuitous for me as photography has become a favorite hobby over the years and I've waned in and out of taking it seriously and playing around.  Regardless, it's one of those things that I can always come back to, expand my knowledge upon and continue to develop.

Same with yoga...

Fast forward from 1992 sophomore year to what I like to refer to as my quarter-life crisis and yoga and I ran head-on into one another.  I was looking for an outlet in addition to my usual running routine and thought yoga would be a good "stretching class" at the local gym.  In my over-confident way, I thought I would run a few miles to the gym, take a yoga class and run home.  At the end of the 90 min class, I was physically stumped and emotionally in tears.  I had no idea what I had found, but I was hooked.

A curiosity became a interest that became a hobby that morphed into an obsession.  From 2001 to 2006 I devoured every book, workshop, teacher, class and article I could find on Yoga.  I completed a year-long teacher training program with Robert Boustany  founder of Pralaya Yoga and the foremost Yoga instructor in the area with over 35+ years of training, and began teaching classes in his studio in addition to attending 6-8 classes a week.

Long story short - my Houston yoga journey continued through my experiences in Chicago and New York and I've enjoyed teaching, learning, and attending classes for the past 10 years.  Tulataa Yoga, My private yoga instruction has become a bit of a side project, but when appropriate for the right client - it has always proven to be one of the most rewarding ways to work.  Yoga is a transformation for anyone who embarks on the journey.


Where one door closes...another always opens.

No comments: